Many fitness enthusiasts suffer from knee pain, ankle injuries or plantar fasciitis as a result of worn or ill-fitting athletic shoes.
Here are five signs that it is time to purchase new shoes.
- Mileage. Depending on your weight your shoes should be replaced every 300 to 500 miles. Note the date of purchase on your calendar or on the inside of the shoe. If you put 15 miles a week on your shoes, they should be replaced every five to eight months.
- Pain. If your feet, legs or knees are hurting it is time for a new pair of shoes.
- The treads are worn. Much like tires on your car, shoes need to be replaced when the tread wears down.
- Your feet change size. Yes, this happens to adults. My feet changed sized after my pregnancy and again a few years ago. When buying athletic shoes buy a half size up from your cute shoes. How to tell if they are the right size? Slide your foot to the front of the shoe. If you can put your thumb behind your heel, you’ve got the right size.
- Time. Depending on weather conditions, if you have had your shoes for eight to 12 months the shoe materials have begun to degrade and no longer offer the support you need.
Two final suggestions when buying shoes, buy high-quality shoes ($100+) and have your foot fitted to the shoe.
If you are ready to up your fitness game, call or text me today at (831)236-6199. Let me create a personalized fitness program that enables you to achieve optimal health. Join me at my brand new 7000 sq ft gym at 120 Country Club Gate Ctr, Pacific Grove, California for one-on-one or group fitness training available everyday from 4am-10pm.