If you are lifting weights but not seeing any change it may be because you are not progressively overloading your muscles. When you do the same routine day in and day out, your body adapts. Not only do you stop building strength and muscle, but you may lose both. Say “no” to plateaus by building muscle, bone strength and cardio fitness with these seven strategies guaranteed to take your workout to the next level.
- Increase the weight/resistance but do fewer repetitions.
- Increase the number of sets, for example go from three sets to five.
- Keep the weight the same but increase the number of repetitions. If you normally do 10 reps, increase them to 15.
- Increase the frequency of your workouts. If you normally workout two or three times a week, workout four or five times a week for shorter intervals.
- Boost the number of exercises you do during a workout. Instead of your usual seven, switch things up by adding a couple of new ones.
- Amplify the intensity of your workout. Exercise so strenuously that you can’t talk. If can hold a conversation, you aren’t working hard enough!
- Decrease the rest time. If you normally rest for 30 seconds between each set, shorten the rest to 20 seconds.
And here is one more bonus strategy to help you build strength, size and endurance: create muscular confusion by constantly varying the exercises.
If you are not happy with your physique, find yourself plateauing, or are bored with your workout, join me at my brand new 7000 sq ft gym at 120 Country Club Gate Ctr, Pacific Grove, California, available everyday from 4am-10pm. Call or text me today to get started (831)236-6199.